Thursday, January 1, 2009

Unfinished knits

One of my not-so-brilliant last minute Christmas gift ideas:

Thrummed mittens.



Really, I thought I was being smart. Worsted weight wool - should be a quick knit! Warm fibery goodness - perfect for long mornings waiting at the bus stop! ...Right?

UGH! Thrums are a pain in the butt to make. And a pain in the butt to include in the knitting every 3 stitches every other row. I wasn't helped by the fact that my thrums were a bit too large, and I could barely fit my pinky into the mitten.. let alone a whole hand. So half a day's work got frogged, and I spaced the thrums out more.




This is where I stopped, several days before Christmas. I just couldn't take it any more.

Too bad I purchased an entire braid (!!) planning to make a family of mittens....




Maybe I'll have to take up spinning. This fiber (handdyed here in B'more by Mama E) is far to pretty to waste!

I'm working on finishing up a second sock (to actually make a matched pair! Oh my!), as well as a sweater. The sweater has been flying along, and I hope to have it completed by the weekend. We'll see....

No comments: